Inspired by "Blueberry Corn Cakes" on Blue Zones
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk (soy, oat, almond, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Fruit sauce, for serving (optional)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. Add the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla and stir just until combined.
3. Fold in the blueberries and let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
4. Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto the hot griddle and cook until the pancakes are bubbly on top and the edges are slightly dry, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Turn and cook until the pancakes are browned on the other side, another 2 to 3 minutes or so. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with optional fruit sauce.
Tip: Small frozen blueberries work best for this recipe.