Inspired by "Savory Oatmeal" on Blue Zones
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 carrot or small beet, peeled and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup stemmed and chopped kale or chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup salsa or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- Smoked paprika and/or crushed red pepper, optional
- Salt and black pepper
1. Combine the oats and carrot in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the water. (Use more or less to achieve the consistency you prefer; 1½ cups yields a fairly thick oatmeal.)
2. Heat until simmering, then cook, stirring often, until everything is tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the kale, salsa, and nutritional yeast.
4. Pour into a bowl and top with the avocado and pumpkin seeds. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and crushed red pepper, if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Variation: Swap in different flavors of salsas or pasta sauces to turn this into a whole new dish.